Why you'd want to live in East Grand Rapids Homes For Sale
East Grand Rapids was first settled in the early 1830s when the Reed family arrived from New York State. Originally part of Paris Township, it is one of the oldest suburbs in Kent County. Residents voted to establish the Village of East Grand Rapids in 1891. The village was then incorporated into a home-rule city in 1926 when the population was approximately 1,300 people. By the 1870s, the Reeds Lake area was a popular summertime day trip destination for the people of Grand Rapids and surrounding areas who made the long journey to spend the day picnicking, boating, swimming, sailing or spending a leisurely day at the lake. At the lakeside pavilion on the west shore of Reeds Lake, viewers could take in a play or listen to a popular orchestra of the day. Originally, those who wished to reach Reeds Lake would do so by foot, stagecoach, or by horse and buggy. In the middle 1870s, horse-drawn cars became available. Passengers would board in downtown Grand Rapids, transfer onto the Grand Rapids and Reeds Lake Railway on Sherman Street Southeast and proceed to the lake down Wealthy Street. By 1877, a steam locomotive replaced the horse cars. Electric streetcars came into use in the early 1890s. Buses replaced them as a mode of transportation in 1935. Interurban also brought residents from nearby cities to Reeds Lake.